While strengthening their academic foundation should be the key priority of school students, it is also vital that they pay adequate heed to their extracurricular activities to progress towards all-round development. Stephen Varanko III says that right from honing their mental faculties to promoting better time management skills; extracurricular activities can help students to ensure their holistic growth. Stephen himself had held several leadership positions in a myriad of extracurricular activities during his high school years. He was a noteworthy student achiever at Randolph Macon Academy.
Outside of the typical framework of any educational curriculum, there tend to be multiple opportunities available in front of students to learn new skills and ignite new passions. Stephen Varanko III mentions that extracurricular activities are vital to the development of any child, and allows them to enjoy a host of rewarding and fulfilling opportunities.
Extracurricular activities have numerous advantages for students. Here are some of them:
- Strengthening the mind: Diverse academic rigors like in-depth reading and complex problem-solving can help in strengthening the mind only to an extent. Taking part in extracurricular activities would help hone the mental faculties even more. For example, high endurance sporting activities would train students to maintain resilience and be patient in the face of intense difficulty.
- Explore interests: As students start to participate in various extracurricular activities, they shall get the chance to explore a wide range of interests and unlock passions or talents they never knew they had. Diversifying their interests would also help the students to broaden their work views and perspectives.
- Higher self-esteem: Each and every person has their own talents, and not everyone can excel in academics. Hence, it is important for all to get an adequate chance to showcase their skills and achieve success with its help. The more success one achieves through the extracurricular activities they are passionate about, the more shall their self-confidence improve. Working hard and mastering new skills in a relaxed but competitive setting allows people to boost their self-esteem and confidence to a great extent. Good self-esteem additionally is a vital tool for ensuring positive mental health and well-being.
- Broader social skills: Stephen Varanko III points out that due to the nature of several extracurricular activities, students get to engage and interact with many of their peers away from the classroom, in a social setting. This provides the students to make new friends develop their social skills, and become confident in communicating in groups.
- Improved time management: Extracurricular activities provide students with great means to learn the importance of time management. For example, by effectively managing their high school life and specialized art classes, students will begin to lay the foundations for skills that will benefit them at later stages of their education, as well as in the steps they will take post-education.
Due to its multiple benefits, all parents must encourage their children to participate in extracurricular activities.